Tenant Costs and Information
We believe in complete transparency of all tenant costs that are involved in your property rental. If you have any questions on any of the costs listed below, or are unsure if they might apply to you, then please call the lettings team on 01256 321777.
When you let through The Property Explorer you can be safe in the knowledge that:
- We have over 18 years’ experience in the letting of properties and have many happy tenants.
- We are members of ARLA, the Property Ombudsman redress scheme and Client Money protection.
- We will look after you from the first time you call our office to enquire about a property, throughout the application process and our staff are highly trained to look after you during your tenancy if we manage the property for your landlords.
- We offer a 24/7 maintenance reporting website via Fixflo and our staff are available on the phone with any queries you may have during office hours.
- We register your deposit with the TDS to ensure it is fully protected throughout your tenancy and act impartially for both Tenants and Landlords at the end of the tenancy.
Call us today to find out more about of our tenant fees.
Renting through The Property Explorer
Once you have found your new home and you offer has been accepted and the referencing and identification checks completed satisfactory, we will prepare the tenancy agreement and organise everything for your move in. We do not charge any Administration Fees to Tenants for your application in line with The Tenant Fees Act 2019 other than permitted payments, as detailed below.
Submitting an offer
If you would like to proceed with placing an offer on a property following the viewing, please contact our Lettings department and we will ask you to complete an offer form for us to put forward your offer to the landlord, then after the landlord has accepted your offer “subject to contract” we will ask you to pay: A Holding deposit equal to 1 x weeks’ worth of rent (monthly Rent x 12 months divided by 52 weeks). The holding deposit will then go towards your first month’s rent. Once the holding deposit has been received we will issue you with on line referencing forms for you to complete via Rent4Sure our referencing company. Once referencing has been completed successfully we can then issue the tenancy agreement for all parties to sign.
Once the holding deposit has been paid, we have 15 days to complete the referencing on all applicants and guarantors and give a decision on whether your application has been accepted in full or declined.
NB. Affordability: Applicants must have income of 30 x monthly rental figure (Example £750 pcm x 30 = £22,500 per year)
Any Holding deposit will be withheld if:
- You retract / withdraw your offer.
- If you fail to declare any adverse credit or provide false information.
- If Tenancy agreements are not signed within 15 calendar days from being advised your offer has been accepted by the Landlord and an extension has not been agreed.
Two working days before you are due to move in, we will need you to pay the remaining first month’s rent and the Security Deposit equal to 5 x weeks’ worth of rent (monthly Rent x 12 months, divided by 52 weeks x 5). Upon receipt we will register your deposit to be fully protected with the TDS Scheme.
All payments are prohibited unless the payment is expressly permitted under the Tenant Fees Act.
The Tenant Fees Act prevents landlords and their agents from requiring tenants to make any payment as a condition of granting, renewing or continuing a tenancy apart from:
- a capped refundable Tenancy Deposit
- a capped refundable Holding Deposit
- payments in the event of a default
- payment on variation, assignment or novation of a tenancy
- payment on termination (surrender) of a tenancy
- payments in respect of Council Tax
- payments for utilities (electricity, gas or other fuel, water or sewage)
- payments for a television licence
- communication services (telephone other than a mobile telephone; the internet; cable television, satellite television)
- Green Deal charge
During the tenancy (payable to the Agent)
If you want to change the tenancy agreement; Permitted Charges under The Tenant Fees Act 2019
- If you the tenant requests a change to the tenancy, such as: removal or additional tenant, change of tenant, we will levy a £50 (inc vat) charge per item.
- If you make a request to have a pet in the property once the tenancy has commenced, we will levy a £40.00 (inc vat) charge per request to seek authority from the Landlord and make the change to your tenancy agreement if approved, your landlord may request an increase in the rent if your request is approved.
- Payment of interest for the late payment of rent will be charged at a rate of 3% above the bank of England’s base rate
- Payment of around £15.00 for the reasonably incurred costs for the loss of keys/security devices
- Payment of any unpaid rent or other reasonable costs associated with your early termination of the tenancy.
- If you request an early termination of your tenancy you will be expected to cover Explorer Lettings and the Landlords expenses incurred due to re-marketing, in order to provide a replacement tenant. This charge is expected to be in the region of £1200 (inc vat) and is subject to the Landlords approval for remarketing of the property.
The Property Ombudsman
Client Money Protection Scheme
Propertymark Member number: C0003939
Propertymark Client Money Protection Scheme Certificate
Maximum £50,000 per claim
Accounting Rules of our client money protection provider